I know what the Doctor says, I'm not stupid, and yes I've read the book. Doctor Atkins say it's best to avoid coffee. Not just coffee, but caffeine in general. Caffeine can lead to all sorts of side effect on your diet that can mess your body up. We all know that too much caffeine can cause headaches and a rapid heart rate but caffeine can also cause a drop in your blood sugar levels and that means a craving for sweets and sugar. That can lead to bad news.
While I would agree that when you are doing the induction phase of Atkins it's a good idea to follow the rules stay off caffeine and just drink a lot of water; Caffeine, specifically coffee, has personally been a life saver for me. How so? Well, i'll give you two reasons... More after the jump.
2. Stimulate. Lets face it, when you are in the heart of doing Atkins sometimes it's hard to get the fiber our body needs to properly product "results" in the rest-room. This can be frustrating sometimes. A little caffeine in the blood stream can help kick start things and get your body in a state to clean itself out. Caffeine is one of natures laxatives and so in those times when I'm feeling a little bloated or stuck coffee can be the cure.
So there you go. I drink coffee. So sue me Atkin-ians.
Just for fun heres a list of my top 5 favorite coffees with lots of flavor.
5. Sumatra Blends (Low acidity and a buttery taste....Mmmm)
4. Anything French Press. (Its always better that way.)
3. Caribou Coffee: Caribou Blend (It almost tastes like
2. Seattles Best: Cinnamon (aka...Warm Cinnamon Rolls in a Mug)
1. Dunkin Donuts: Dunkin Turbo (Donkin dounts with extra flavor...Oh gosh...I can't even...its soo...yum)