Cravings can be tough to deal with, but not if you have a strategy. Here seven tips to help you with you next craving attack.
2. Create a Mantra - it sounds silly, but I found that actually speaking the words "I don't need _____" works well. For example, "I don't need pizza" or "I don't need cake" out loud helps me get in the right mindset. Sometime you just need to make the decision out loud to help you stick to it.
3. Get Some Good Support - If you are out, and temptation strikes, it never hurts to be with a friend who can talk you off that ledge. You may have to ask them for your help. For me it is my wife. She often will see when I am craving or being tempted with a sweet and remind me that its not worth the few seconds of gratification. You can even call your special someone and let them know you are having a rough craving.
4. Eat on Time - Having a schedual you can stick to helps. If you don't eat on time, you may get hungry and then that may lead to snacking, and usually snacking leads to more snacking. Better eat to fulfillment with a meal than to put little things in that keep you in a state of hunger.
5. Exercise - Believe it or not, exercise can help calm cavings and clear the mind. Get a routine for yourself down. And if it is outside of your routine and a craving strikes. It doesn't hurt to go out for a short walk to get the blood flowing. You may find that when you get back you body doesn't even want to think about food.
6. Find Substitutes - Want a hot fudge sundae? Well, how about some Low Carb Vanilla ice cream with sugar free fudge? Want a cookie? how about a low carb tortilla with some peanut butter inside. There are a lot of options out there that can help you to get by. So many companies are catering to all the diet needs now. Find something that works for you that will get you through it.
7. Run! - All this to say, there is something to be said for the old approach of getting the heck out of whatever situation is giving you a hard time. Surrounded by cake and treats at a friends party, maybe its better to check out early. Is dessert staring you down at grandmas, make a trip to the restroom to get your head straight. Make a wrong turn at the Vegas buffet and found the desserts, Run!
Look, these aren't the only ways to handle cravings but its good to have some ideas and a plan before you enter battle, and let be honest, getting a new lifestyle for eating can be a battle for some for us. It's always better to be prepared then to not.