I am not a big fan of cucumbers. Personally I just think it's a texture thing. Regardless, I needed to find a way to use what we had and with a pregnant wife, the logical choice seemed to make some pickles. Now I don't know the first thing about actual pickling and I had heard about the process of refrigerator pickles was supposed is a lot easier. So I searched online of a recipe and altered in slightly so it wouldn't be heavy in carbs.
- 6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion $
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar (I Used Splenda here instead)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.
- Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.